Monday, September 10, 2012

Marinated Pork Tenderloin with Fresh Peach Topping


We are an entire week past Labor Day now, so whether I want to admit it or not, another August has come and gone.  Although I have much to look forward to this fall, I'm not quite ready to let go of summer yet.  So before they go totally out of season, I want to bring you one more peach recipe.

I'm not a huge meat eater, but since I'm smack dab in the middle of marathon training right now, I've been trying to focus on preparing lean meats in order to make sure I'm getting enough protein.  I've never made pork tenderloin myself before, but this recipe turned out so great that I've made it twice in the last month!  Since I wasn't exactly sure what I was doing the first time around, I consulted the always wonderful Ina Garten for some cooking strategies before getting down to business.

The peach topping is inspired by a recipe I found ages ago in the Cook This, Not That cookbook.  It is the perfect blend of flavors and textures, but really allows the peach to be the star of the show.  This sweet and tangy topping is perfect to punch the flavor of the marinated pork tenderloin up one more notch.

INGREDIENTS:

Pork:
-1 to 1 1/2 lb pork tenderloin
-1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
-1/4 cup olive oil
-3 Tbs real maple syrup
-Salt
-Pepper

Topping:
-3 peaches, halved
-1 small red onion, sliced
-3 Tbs blue cheese crumbles
-1 Tbs balsamic reduction

Generously salt and pepper a pork tenderloin on all sides, rubbing the seasoning in with your hands.  In a medium sized bowl wisk together the balasmic vingar, olive oil, and maple syrup.  Place the tenderloin in a large, plastic freezer bag or a sealable container, and pour the marinade over it.  Seal the bag or the container making sure it is air tight and refrigerate for atleast 3 hours, but up to 24 hours.  The longer the meat marinates, the more flavorful it will be.

When ready to prepare the meat, remove it from the refrigerator and preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Heat a large cast iron skillet over high heat until very hot.  Remove the tenderloin from the marinade and place it on the skillet, turning it every few minutes to sear it on all sides.  This process should take about 10 minutes total.  While the meat is searing, halve the peaches (removing the pit, but leaving the skin) and slice the onion.  When the meat is seared on all sides, surround it with the peaches (flesh side down) and the onion rings, then transfer the skillet to the oven.  Cook for another 10-15 minutes (it will depend on the size of the tenderloin and how well you like it done.  I recommend cooking to an internal temperature (use a meat thermometer) of 145 degrees for the tenderloin to be medium in the center and well done on the ends.  If you prefer your pork well done, just let it cook for and extra 3-5 minutes.  Allow the meat to rest for 10 minutes before slicing.

While the meat is resting, prepare the peach topping.  Remove the cooked onions and peaches from the cast iron skillet.  Chop both ingredients into small bits and then gently toss them with 3 Tbs of blue cheese crumbles.

To serve, place the tenderloin on a platter and slice it into one inch rounds.  Spread the peach topping along both sides of the pork and drizzle the whole shebang with a Tbs of balsamic reduction.  Balsamic reduction can be purchased at specialty food stores, but if you want to make your own, we show you how to do it here .


It may be September, but I'm hanging on to summer with all my might!

XOXO,
Tall One

No comments:

Post a Comment