Monday, December 26, 2011

Toffee Squares... and home for the holidays!

Hi everyone!  It's Tall One here.  Small One and I are both FINALLY home for the holidays!  Small One is actually visiting family in rural West Virginia with shotty internet service and absolutely no cell phone reception, so I'll be taking the reins for a couple of days.  Thanks to crazy scheduling conflicts, I have not been able to make it home since the 4th of July so it has been better than ever to be back in my hometown for Christmas this year.  After a great couple of days celebrating with family, it was time to get down to business in the kitchen.  In honor of being home, I could think of nothing better to whip up than these simple Toffee Squares that I've been eating at Christmastime for years.

INGREDIENTS:
-40 saltine crackers
-1 cup (2 sticks) butter
-1 cup brown sugar
-2 cups chocolate chips of your choice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Grease a 10x15 inch pan and cover with saltine crackers by laying them side by side over the entire surface.  You may need to overlap a few of the crackers, but that isn't a problem.  In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter.  Once melted, add the brown sugar and bring mixture to a boil.  Boil for about five minutes or until a nice think consistency forms.  Pour hot toffee over crackers and spread evenly to cover the entire pan.  Bake for 5 minutes.  Allow toffee to cool for about 15 minutes.  Once again, melt chocolate chips (I usually use milk chocolate, but this time I used semi-sweet... both have great results and I think that dark chocolate would be great as well) over low heat, stirring constantly.  If you are worried about burning the chocolate, use a double boiler.  Once chocolate is melted, pour over toffee and spread evenly over entire surface.  Allow to cool completely in the refrigerator.  Once toffee is cooled, it is easy to pop out of the pan, thanks to all that butter!  Squares can be cut using a sharp knife or or pizza cutter, but I prefer to just break them into different size pieces with my hands.


The ingredients my not be the most figure friendly, but it's the holidays so live a little!!

XOXO,
Tall and Small

No comments:

Post a Comment